If your garden is anything like mine, there reaches a point in the summer when you are harvesting a courgette a day, and need all the recipes you can find to cook them.
This is a delicious recipe that uses fresh courgette. Serves 1 for a stand-alone meal or two if accompanied by bread and cooked meat.
1 medium sized courgette
1 tsp salt
3 eggs, beaten
salt & pepper
2 tsp each of fresh chives and fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp each thyme leaves and marjoram leaves or flowers
1 tbsp butter
50g cheese (can be omitted if cheese makes you react, or replaced with cooked bacon), diced or grated. I used mild cheddar.
- peel courgette, remove stalk and any woody sections, then grate into a bowl. Add tsp salt, mix well and leave for 5 minutes.
- tip courgette into a sieve, and press with a spoon to remove as much excess water as you can.
- put drained courgette in a clean bowl with eggs, seasoning and herbs. Mix well.
- heat butter in a frying pan until sizzling. Add egg/courgette mixture and sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Fry on high until you notice edges beginning to brown. Slide omelette out of pan onto a plate, tip upside down using a second plate, and slide it, uncooked side down, back into frying pan to finish cooking.
- Serve alone or with home made bread, Courgette-chup, pickled red cabbage(see Pickling spice and pickles) and cooked meat.