A delicious, easy to make sweet that is safe for anyone on the C&B-free diet unless you also react to dairy.
makes about 1 1/2kg of tablet. If made well and properly hard, it should store in a sealed container for up to a fortnight (if its not all eaten first!)
Note it does get very hot so two pieces of advice – don’t make with very young children underfoot, and don’t be tempted to taste until it has solidified and cooled.
1kg caster sugar
390g-400g tin condensed milk
150ml semi-skimmed milk
(optional) 1/2tsp vanilla extract. (note some people react to some vanilla extracts so only use if you know you are safe with it)
- Put all ingredients except vanilla in a large, deep pan.
- Heat to melt and combine everything, stirring well.
- Bring to boil, turn heat down and simmer gently for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Bring back to boil if mixture has stopped bubbling, then remove from heat
- Add vanilla if using and, working quickly, start beating with a hand held electric whisk for a minimum of 5 minutes or until mixture thickens
- pour onto a tray lined with a non-stick covering, spread out evenly, mark lines on top to make breaking easier, then leave to cool
- Once cold, break along lines into squares and pack into an airtight container for storage.