Nothing unusual about this dish, it is offered to give vegetarian readers some alternative meal ideas.
4-6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1-2 small leeks or 1 large leek, cleaned and sliced
pinch each of salt, celery seeds and dill seeds
1 vegetable stock cube or pot (Tescos own brand stock pots are usually safe)
200ml boiling water
100g cheese of choice. (Mild cheddar is usually safe for everyone)
- Put potato pieces and leek slices together into an oven proof dish
- dice butter and sprinkle it, together with the salt and seeds, over the dish
- dissolve stock in boiling water and pour carefully over the buttered, seasoned vegetables
- bake at 170 degrees until potatoes are soft. Remove from oven.
- sprinkle cheese over the dish, turn oven up to 200 degrees and return dish. Leave in oven until cheese is golden brown and bubbling
- eat with a lettuce, cucumber and onion salad, or with a pickle of choice if you can tolerate any. I enjoy this dish with pickled red cabbage.
This dish would make a good starter if served in smaller portions, or else a side dish to accompany fish or chicken or veggie burgers.
The leek could be swapped for mild onions or celery if preferred.