A simple, basic sponge recipe, which can be adapted for different recipes or flavourings or enjoyed on it’s own either in a larger cake or as cupcakes
Ingredients – to be scaled up as necessary
2 ounces caster sugar
2 ounces butter
1 egg, beaten
2 to 4 ounces self raising flour (depending on how you like your texture, what flavourings you are using, etc.)
OPTIONAL extra flavourings – vanilla or almond essence, citrus rind and juice, fresh fruit, treacle, ginger, carob, nuts – use as desired
a little fruit juice, milk or water as necessary
1) cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
2) add egg a little at a time and mix well
3) fold in flour gently. If using dry extra flavourings, use less flour. If using fruit juice, treacle, or something similar, use more.
4) add any extra flavourings, along with a drop of liquid as necessary, to ensure that mix becomes a smooth batter
5) spoon into cupcake cases or into a greased, lined cake tin of appropriate size. Bake in a medium oven until a knife or skewer pressed into the centre of the cake(s) comes out clean.
6) cool on a wire rack before decorating or eating.