Most commercial cough, cold & flu preparations have either benzoates, cinnamates or various artificial nasties in them that don’t do anyone on a benzoate-free diet any good. So this is my own soothing drink that seems for me to work almost as well but without the junk.
Makes a minimum of 2 mugs, or more if you prefer it less concentrated
1 whole lemon
2 to 3 cm of fresh ginger, finely grated (skin & all)
3 tbsp honey
hot water as desired (minimum of 2 mugs full)
1) slice lemon and squeeze juice out. Put juice, pips and pith all together in a small saucepan
2) add ginger, being careful to scrape any juice off the grater.
3) add honey and hot water and bring to the boil.
4) simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes before pouring into mugs – if you can pour carefully you don’t get the pith and pips into your mug but do get some of the juicy lemon and ginger pieces.
5) serve with paracetamol and a large handkerchief!