Ingredients for the sweet shortcrust pastry:
• 225g/8oz plain white flour (either wheat or gluten-free)
• 110g/4oz sunflower margarine
• 2 tsp caster sugar
• 1 medium free-range egg yolk
Ingredients for the citrus filling:
• 100g/3½oz caster sugar
• 6 tbsp cornflour
• 3 oranges or 4 lemons or 4 limes, zest and juice only
• 5 free-range egg yolks
• 100g/3½oz sunflower margarine, melted
Ingredients for the meringue:
• 6 medium free-range egg whites
• 300g/10½oz caster sugar
1. Put margarine and flour in a mixing bowl and rub together until it looks like breadcrumbs.
2. Add the sugar to the flour and margarine. Using your hands, mix to a dough with the egg yolk and a splash of cold water. Chill for 30 minutes
3. Roll the chilled pastry out and line a pie dish or tin. Cover pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at around 180 to 190 degrees or until the pastry is pale golden and dried out.
4. turn your oven down to 100 to 120 degrees.
5. For citrus filling, mix together the sugar, cornflour and enough water to make a paste, and put to one side.
6. Bring 50ml water and the zest to the boil in a pan.
7. Pour this hot liquid onto the cornflour and sugar, whisking all the time until smooth, then beat in the egg yolks, juice and margarine, then return to the pan.
8. Cook over a low heat, stirring all the time, until thickened. Pour into the baked pastry case and leave to one side whilst you make the meringue.
9. whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Whisk in the caster sugar, a spoonful at a time. When all added, spoon the meringue on top of the citrus filling
10. Bake for about 35-45 minutes in an oven no hotter than 120 degrees until the meringue is crisp on the outside and soft and marshmallow-like underneath.
If you have other allergies, this desert is dairy free and can also be made to be gluten free.