I used to love sticky, rich chocolate truffles, and after starting on this diet I believed they were a thing of the past. Not so! A wonderful recipe, discovered at a local tea shop and adapted to use carob rather than cocoa, these are delicious and incredibly moreish!
Makes approx 40 truffles
380g – 400g tin of condensed milk
100g margarine or butter
20 crushed digestive biscuits *I used standard McVities digestives as they are okay for me, but other varieties of plain biscuit, including gluten free, would probably be okay
4 – 5 tablespoons carob powder, plus more for dusting
petit four cases
a splash of brandy or sherry (optional)
1) Melt the margarine or butter with the condensed milk in a pan.
2) Mix the crushed biscuits and carob powder together and mix into the hot milk/butter.
3) add the sherry or brandy if using
4) using your hands, roll the mixture into small balls. This works best if you leave it a few minutes to cool down. If it is too soft, add a few more crushed biscuits
5) roll balls into extra carob powder and place into paper case. refrigerate until firm.