50g dairy-free spread or plain sunflower oil (shopping list note – pure sunflower margarine is safe)
1.2 litres vegetable stock (shopping list note – Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon, the vegan organic version in the orange/brown pot, is safe as long as you are not sensitive to turmeric – if you can’t tolerate it, you’ll probably have to make your own, using half a dozen different fresh safe vegetables, two litres of water, some safe fresh or dried herbs, salt and pepper. Prepare vegetables, put everything in a pot, bring to the boil and simmer for at least an hour before straining and measuring out your 1.2 litres for this recipe)
Salt and pepper
OPTIONAL for people who eat/tolerate dairy – 2 tablespoons cream or crème fraiche
- Trim and clean the leeks. Peel the potatoes and cut into large chunks.
- Put the leeks and potatoes into food processor to chop them up.
- Put spread or oil in a large pan and add the leek and potato. Cook for 5-10 minutes until leeks begin to soften.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- For a smooth soup, blitz with a blender. Taste for seasoning and stir in the cream just before serving, if using.
- If making the day before, don’t add the cream. Leave in a plastic or glass container in the fridge, heat up either in a pan or the microwave and stir in the cream just before you take it to the table.