1 large onion, thickly sliced
125ml chicken stock or water (shopping tip – Knorr chicken stockpots are usually safe)
500g chestnuts, prepared and cooked (most tinned varieties are safe, or else buy the fresh versions, slit the shell and boil for 20 minutes before peeling whilst still hot and putting back into a pan with just enough water or stock to cover and cooking for a further 20 minutes)
200g breadcrumbs (either use some homemade bread, crumbled, or otherwise a safe shop-bought version)
1 teaspoon chopped chives
Salt and pepper
- Combine the onion and stock or water in a small saucepan. Bring the liquid to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until the onion is tender.
- Drain and chop finely, reserving the cooking water
- Chop the chestnuts finely, using a food processor if desired. C
- ombine with onions and breadcrumbs, stir in the chives, salt and pepper to taste
- Use the reserved cooking water, a drop at a time, to combine the stuffing to the required consistency.