Makes 1 large or 2 small loaves
750g plain flour (either EU-produced or unbleached white or wholemeal as required)
1 x 7g sachet dried yeast
1 – 2 teaspoons salt as required
450ml warm water
50ml sunflower or vegetable oil
OPTIONAL Up to 200g of other safe bread ingredients e.g. poppy seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds (if you can tolerate them), ground oatmeal, wheatgerm.
OPTIONAL 1 to 2 teaspoons of dried safe herbs e.g. rosemary, thyme, dried ground garlic
- Place all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix to ensure yeast, salt and any other ingredients if using, are evenly distributed throughout the flour
- Make the warm water by using equal amounts of just boiled water from the kettle and cold tap water. Do not use water from your hot tap! Add oil to the water, and then pour all liquid onto the dry ingredients.
- Mix with your hands to blend it together, bring the dough together into a ball in the bowl and then, when it is all smooth and combined, tip onto a floured work surface
- Kneed gently for 5 to 10 minutes. If you are unsure of how to kneed bread there are loads of internet bread making pages you can google.
- Shape as desired, either into a loaf or into rolls. Make sure you use tins or trays that are big enough as you need to leave the dough in a warm place until it is doubled in size. This can take an hour or two. Don’t put it in the oven or anywhere too hot until it has doubled in size – it needs to be hand hot and no hotter, so if you can’t touch the metal tray, you’ve left your dough somewhere too warm!
- When dough has doubled in size, place in a very hot oven, 230 degrees, for between 15 and 35 minutes depending on the shape and size of your loaf/rolls. It is cooked when the base and sides all have an even golden colour and the base, when tapped smartly, sounds hollow.
- Leave to cool a little before eating. This can be made a day before and wrapped. Note if you wrap it when still very hot and fresh out of the oven, the crust will be soft. If you wait and wrap it when cold, the crust will be crispy.