Many of us struggle to find suitable squashes/cordials that are free of artificial sweeteners and other nasties. So, courtesy of Mrs Beaton, here is a very adaptable recipe that can be used with different citrus fruits, although I suggest sticking to one type of fruit per batch of drink.
Dilute to taste with water. If the citrus is omitted it may be stirred into milk.
50g/2oz pearl barley
grated rind of 1 lemon, 1 orange or 2 limes
125ml/4 fl oz lemon, orange or lime juice
sugar to taste
1. put barley in a saucepan with a pint/500ml of water. Bring to the boil and boil for 20 minutes, then strain into a clean pan
2. stir in the fruit rind, juice and make up to approximately 2 pints/1.1 litres with cold water.
3. heat gently, stirring occasionally, until boiling.
4. reduce the heat, cover the pan and cook gently for 45 minutes. Leave, covered, until cold
5. strain rind out, sweeten to taste then store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Alternatively freeze in ice cube trays or small containers.